This podcast content is for members of The C Method Academy only. The C Method Academy is our monthly members-only training and accountability program. Members get access to exclusive podcast content, Masterclass 'mini courses', Live Coaching Calls and our private community platform. If you want to rapidly develop your confidence, communication and leadership skills, I invite you to join us! Click here to learn more and join The Academy
You’ve experienced it, right?
That moment you walk into an event and you’re like, ‘Oh I don’t know anyone. Umm…what do I do?’
You freeze momentarily. Everyone else looks like they know someone. Everyone is happily chatting away. How on EARTH do you seamlessly jump into a conversation without being awkward and weird??
If you know what I’m talking about, you’re not alone. We’ve all been there, myself included of course.
But there is hope! There are things you can do to make your life easier, and joining me in this totally non-awkward discussion is my friend and fellow podcast host, Prescott Perez Fox.
Prescott is the host of the Busy Creator podcast, where he helps creative freelancers be more productive and develop business skills so they can kick ass in business and in life.
We talk about how to build confidence in social situations once you leave the warm fuzzy school nest. Discover how to approach people at networking events, good opening lines, the best meetups to go to, plus much more.
If you’ve ever been to an event and felt awkward or unsure of what to do, this episode is for you!
Notes from the episode:
- Difference between awkwardness and shyness. If you’re totally shy, you wouldn’t even take part, right?
- Why you’re perfectly confident at school, and what happens when you graduate…
- Your comfort zone is shattered once you’re out in the real world, and you’re with people who are way different to you.
- The social challenges of moving to a new city. You have to go out and make friends!
- The best people to approach at an event (hint: not someone who is alone!)
- How to be aware of gender dynamics – guys, don’t approach a guy and a girl. Approach two women!
- Why approach two people is easier than approaching one.
- Best type of meetups – morning coffee events instead of evenings.
- Why? Only the really keen people go to morning events! And people more likely to go on their own, rather than with a group of friends
- Even Tim Ferriss gets terrified approaching women!
- Good opening lines to use if you want to join a group.
- How to welcome someone else in to your group.
- Cool creative meetup: http://creativemornings.com/
- Another coffee shop meetup: http://likemind.us/